For the first time – ever – ODTUG is organizing a virtual panel session. Thanks for Cameron Lackpour for inviting me for that kind of important job. Here are some facts and how to register to this wonderful virtual event.
Guest Blogger: Cameron Lackpour
ODTUG Expert’s Panel – Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
Panelists: Cameron Lackpour (CL Solve), Gurcan Orhan (Turkcell), Michael Reiney (Rittman Mead Consulting), Matthias Heilos (MindStream Analytics)
Moderator: John A. Booth (Emerging Solutions)
Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM EST (08:00 PM – 09:30 PM GMT +2) (06:00 PM – 07:30 PM GMT)
*** Join the first-ever ODTUG expert’s panel webinar ***
Cameron Lackpour – http://camerons-blog-for-essbase-hackers.blogspot.com
Gurcan Orhan – https://gurcanorhan.wordpress.com
Matthias Hellios– http://epmstream.blogspot.com
Michael Rainey – http://www.rittmanmead.com/blog/
John Booth – http://www.metavero.com
Some of the topics we could cover (and if you don’t ask, this will be all we talk about) are:
- Migration firm OWB to ODI. Many questions about it. Tips and tricks.
- How flexible is ODI? How to configure, enhance, and modify depending on business/technical needs.
- Heterogeneous environment could be another simple subject. Talking with MSSQL, Sybase, Oracle, Linux, and Windows at the same time.
- GoldenGate and Hadoop interaction.
- How is ODI used differently in data warehousing (“classical” ETL) and the EPM space?
- What are the top five tips and tricks to develop great ODI processes?
- “Buy or sell” questions about the future of ODI or data integration processes in general, maybe even Big Data
- For EPM people, could one of the panelists please describe the scope of ODI usage? Remember that EPM people typically do simple extracts from data and metadata and feed it to EPM apps. But that’s the proverbial sledgehammer looking for a walnut to crack. What else is going on with the tool? How should we be thinking about going beyond what we typically do in EPM? How should we be thinking about what ODI can bring to our projects?
- Where is Oracle going with its data management tools? EPM people have ODI, Essbase Studio, Essbase Application Server, EPMA, FDM, DRM, native utilities, etc. It’s all a big mess and NO ONE adequately describes why a customer should pick one tool or combination of tools over the other. I would LOVE to have some kind of concrete guide to tool selection.
- How is ODI tied into the BI tools? Is it like EPM’s KMs for loading data and metadata? More? Less? Core piece of the functionality?
- How are ODI jobs staffed? Are these hardcode data integration types, DW, SQL, something in between?
- There is the ODI graphical way and then you can go far, far, far off the approved path with Procedures and Variables. ODI does it all—that is its charm and its danger. How bad of a practice is it to treat ODI as a shell for executing SQL?
- Must you be a Java programmer to be effective with ODI?
- When is ODI (gasp) not the answer?